Friday, December 3, 2010

Shiner Marinade

This is my go-to marinade for BBQ.  So far, I've used it on chicken, ribs and brisket.  I've never tried it, but I think it would also work nicely with shrimp or salmon.  The brisket was on the menu this past Thanksgiving.  After cooking, I take the pan drippings, skim off the fat and mix it with BBQ sauce, honey and other seasonings to make a custom-flavored sauce.  While I typically use this to marinade things going on the grill, I've also baked chicken pieces in the oven using this recipe and achieved great results. I imagine it could work with other beers as well, but I've never tried.

The following quantities make enough to marinate a 20 pound brisket.

Ingredients
2 sticks of butter
4 cloves of garlic, crushed (no need to chop)
1/3 cup of fresh chopped ginger (no need to peel)
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs cajun seasoning
2 Pints Shiner
1 Tbs ground ginger (or more to taste)
1 Tbs ground garlic
1 Tsp cayenne pepper

Instructions
  1. Melt butter in a large stock pot.  Sprinkle in brown sugar, garlic and ginger, and cook together 3-5 minutes until garlic is aromatic. 
  2. Slowly pour in Shiner, stirring the mixture as you pour.  Bring to a boil, then allow the mixture to simmer until it's reduced by half.
  3. If desired, add in additional ground ginger, garlic and cayenne.   Allow to cool completely before pouring onto meat.  I don't add salt to this because I usually salt and pepper the meat directly.
  4. When I prepare a brisket, I leave this marinade on for at least 24 hours. I trim the fat down, and salt and pepper the brisket.  Then, I slice an onion or 2 and create a bed of onions in the bottom of the pan.  I place the brisket on top of the onions, then pour the marinade around/on top of the meat.  I flip the meat every 4 hours to ensure even coating.


No comments:

Post a Comment